this is a side view. I used a nichrome wire hook that was inserted into the wet clay before firing. Then, after the second glaze firing I used a nickel wiring infrastructure to build the leaves. Then I wrapped paper mache over the wire to create the surface of the leaves. Finally I covered the paper mache with acrylic paint—and there you have it.
I finished this piece quite awhile ago. However I wasn’t completely happy with it. Something was missing—-I added the dark paper mache clouds —now it feels finished. It was like putting a frame around a drawing. Its hard to know when a piece is really done. There is always one more thing that can be done. This is a rather large piece measuring 14.5 inches high by six inches wide. Enjoy!
I have never incorporated paper mache into any of my work prior to this piece. The clouds are made using this material. Then painted with acrylic paint. The raindrops are created with pencil. The entire piece was then sprayed with a clear polyurethane to seal all the details.
I love these bright glazes–I highly recommend them. The brand is called ‘Coyote’. This is the first place (Texas) I have seen them locally sold. I believe they can be bought online. Really dependable and predictable outcome. If you are interested in which specific glaze this is I will be happy to respond to any questions.
here is a close up of one of the pieces faces. I used underglaze to achieve the flesh tones. The clay body is a high-fire white porcelain-like clay body taken to cone six.
here are a couple pieces that can be found in my etsy shop. I think they look good as a grouping—they get lonesome by themselves.
I am almost certain this piece is finished. I don’t have a pro-picture of it just yet. I am attempting to be more disciplined as far as keeping my blog as up to date as possible—so I’m putting some work out there in cyberspace completed or not. This piece was photographed right after it came out of the first firing and I thought it might be interesting for people to see it in its natural habitat back on the worker bee table.
this is the bottom section of the piece. I use the symbol of an elephant throughout my work. Beneath this piece is a small paper mache ‘shadow’ that gives him more character.
this is a detail of the top section of the piece. it is a white clay body fired to 2240 degrees Fahrenheit—I used underglaze, glaze, and paper mache.
this section of the piece was added on after the second firing. I used wire, paper mache, and acrylic paint to create this spotted leaves. if anyone want to know more about the process I would be glad to give you more info. I haven’t decided if I will use this technique again, it was extremely laborious/tedious/pain in the ass. I do love how it looks though.